There seems to be some confusion between the use of the Medtronic Activa
device that has been approved in the U.S. and the use that has not yet been
approved by the FDA.  Perhaps the following will help.

This is from the 1997 Medtronic Annual Report.  Clearly it was written some
time ago, but possibly it will clarify things a bit.

It is from  http://www.medtronic.com/annual/neuro.html

<<We are very excited about the anticipated U.S. Food and
   Drug Administration clearance of a new therapy to control
   the rhythmic shaking that can debilitate patients with essential
   tremor or tremor due to Parkinson's disease. This is the first

   completely new approach to tremor control in 30 years.

   The Activa tremor control system uses specialized leads to
   stimulate the thalamus -- the brain's message relay center --
   and control tremor. This therapy is having a tremendous
   effect on the lives of patients, enabling them to once again
   perform routine daily activities such as writing, eating, and
   returning to family and social situations free of discomfort.
   Once it is released in the United States, this therapy will be
   available in almost every major market in the world.>>

That, above, is the application that was approved last year.

<<We are also investigating other therapies including
   neurostimulation for:

        Parkinson's disease -- stimulation of other parts of the
        brain (the sub-thalamic nucleus and the internal
        portion of the globus pallidus) may be effective in
        relieving or greatly reducing other symptoms of
        Parkinson's disease, such as rigidity and akinesia. >>

This is the new stuff, and it has not yet been approved in the U.S.  From
what I gather, some of it has been approved in Europe, especially the
sub-thalamic nucleus stimulation.

The approved use (in the U.S.) is for tremor.  Uses for other symptoms are
yet to be approved here.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable and more authoritative than I will jump
in and explain this better.

Art

 Arthur Hirsch {} [log in to unmask] {} Lewisville, TX {} 972-434-2377
 (nickname on instant mail, ICQ, and chat programs is cutterson)

   Always Remember This:  Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness