hi all

i exchanged a couple of messages with a cyber-sibling
in re dr. david burns' ideas on cognitive distortion
and 'automatic' negative thoughts

the more i learn about this
the more easily i see it in me and in others

"bd" has agreed with my idea to post this to all of you
in the hope that it will help someone else

**********
hi "bd"

you wrote:
>...five years ago when i was in a sort of state of
>mental health emergency,  my counselor gathered
>both my parents and my brother and various friends
>into one room. I think i learned more in that couple hours
>than ever before,  i still in fact learn from it.

i've heard/read about this kind of 'tough love' 'confrontation'
all positive things

and you are right
the learning from our experiences is an ongoing process

we are always changing/growing
at least i hope so

i find myself re-reading some books
and getting something totally different from them
on the second or third reading because my viewpoint has shifted/expanded

>my mother...is, i believe, bothered
>by the stigmas of mental health...

this isn't limited to your mother
it's a problem in our society in general

>...i have found out years later that
>she thinks it is somehow her fault...

this sounds like one of the cognitive distortions
behind those automatic thought 'monkeys'
as outlined by dr. burns:

Cognitive Distortion Number 10:
"Personalization:
You see yourself as the cause of some negative external event
which in fact you were not primarily responsible for."

>...the problems i have had and
>has always refused to talk about them.

and this sounds like classic denial and repression
if i don't acknowledge it
if i don't talk about it
it might go away

>so now i think it is extremely difficult
>for her to look at her own situation.

when i am in the pit of depression
my viewpoint on everything is clouded by glum and darkened by fear
since i am feeling so lousy, i must be a lousy person...
and i get too frightened to explore that territory

Cognitive Distortion Number 7:
"Emotional Reasoning:
You assume that your negative emotions
necessarily reflect the way things really are.
'I feel it, therefore it must be true.'

>thanks again for your notes

you are most welcome again
i am only sorry that i've been so slow to respond

my recent med 'fine tuning'
has helped my outlook/activity level a great deal

>>did you see the collection of messages i re-posted
>>last month about depression and the family atmosphere on the list?
>>i'd be happy to copy them to you
>>if there is any chance they would help you or your mother
>
>yes i would love a copy

good!
be warned
they are on their way!

maybe this delay in replying to you was intended;
i have revised and simplified the collection of messages
after looking at them with clearer eyes this morning

>you have a very nice way of sharing things,
>i have noticed it before.

thank you for that, "db"
i consciously try not to judge anyone
but to relate their situation to some experience of mine
"there but for grace..."

much love for you and your mother

janet

janet paterson
51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac
almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]