hi john

you wrote,  in part:
>> [hanging on to] anger
>> is like burning down the house
>> to catch the mouse
>>
>>      [paraphrased] lao tse
>
>This sounds like anger is a bad thing?

not at all
but it needs care-full examination as to its cause
and care-full consideration as to its mode of expression

>OK, hanging on to it forever is destructive,

exactly
otherwise known as 'nursing a grudge'
which can also translate into bitter unforgiving
which is where the self destructive aspect comes in
[i.e. burning the house down]

>...but *my* problem has always been that I've been
>too compliant! I've always let people run me over...

i know this one well -
the 'mr.[ms] nice guy[gal] syndrome'

we think that we will gain approval/validation
by 'doing' or 'being' what others want us to 'do' or 'be'

we think we need to gain approval/validation

we don't need it
we already have it
we can't 'get it' from others

we have it within us
it came with the package
we have simply forgotten where we put it

>and finally I have been standing
>there feeling like "nobody listens"...

that's where the frustration comes in
we can't 'make' others do anything
we can't 'make' them listen to us
we can't 'make' them like us

no matter how much
we think we want/need them to

another side of that coin is
nothing that others do can 'make' us feel anything

we create our own emotions
through our perceptions of others' actions
and the meanings/baggage that we attach to them

>Anger doesn't have to mean yelling and striking people!
>It can also be that intense feeling of "what they are doing
>to me is wrong! I will not let them do it to me!".

absolutely
acting in an assertive manner
can result from anger or from other feelings
but self-assertion is not the same thing as anger or aggression

assertion is a positive act
based on knowing one's 'worth' is beyond doubt

aggression is a negative act
based on fear that one's 'worth' is under threat

>For me, it is the driving force that gives me
>energy to stand up and fight when others ignore me
>and my value (as well as the value of others).

whew!
this sounds like anger/adrenalin
arising out of a perceived injustice and a desire to 'right the wrong'

the trick/work is in the perception of the 'injustice'
if we think about it for a bit
the 'injustice' may be
something else

we always have a choice
as animals we can act on instinct
as humans we can act without thinking
as mature humans we can think before acting

thanks for dragging this out of me, john!
i think!

your cyber-sibling
[who used to set records in grudge-keeping]

janet

janet paterson
51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac
almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]