    The voice and PD is not a simple issue.  My speech is lousy because of
PD but it has nothing to do with my vocal chords.  I flew to CA and had the
collagen injections at UCLA in December and the only effect was a slight
increase in volume that lasted about 3 weeks.  But - the doctor first stuck
a viewing device of  some sort down my nostril and we both looked at my
chords in action via a strobe lite.  They were almost normal, so he
correctly predicted what the end result was going to be.  [Since I had flown
all the way from NJ and since there would not be any harm we both decided,
what the heck, and he gave them (4) to me in +/- 15 minutes.  There is
nothing at all unpleasant or painful about it.  It was actually fun.].

 IF your symptoms include hoarse or breathy speech or severe low volume,
collagen is probably for you. If not, it's not. Tom, if you'd like any
additional details from me, please post me privately and I'll answer.

    In contrast to that experience, I had my second of 16 scheduled Lee
Silverman Speech Therapy sessions today and I'm very encouraged.  In fact
the therapists are almost TOO encouraging.  They
tell me I'm a sure thing for significant improvement.  I had unsuccessful
conventional ST 1 1/2 years  ago so I am taking more of a Show Me attitude.
But - I have my volume up to 83 dB for 23 seconds from 72 dB for 17 sec
after  2 days.  They say I have the volume; I just have to relearn how to
use it.
I have to  practice twice a day for the 4 weeks - and 2-3 times a week until
I am cured of PD.

IF your symptoms are a rapid, stuttering, indistinct, garbled, rotten,
moderate low volume speech,
then Lee Silverman is probably what you want.

What mystifies me is why only some of us seem to have any voice problems at
all.

The collagen costs would have been about $700 and the ST is  $104/hour - or,
$1,664 for the 4 weeks.  My HMO just laughed at both options.  But then, I'm
not sure they understood what I was asking...

[For those  in the NJ Metro area - the rehab center at JFK Hospital in
Edison, what a facility!  The best of everything - equipment, bubbling
therapists, talking computers in each session room, FREE COFFEE.  So far I'm
being double-teamed and the sessions both went over 20 minutes. Lots of
Donated by Johnson and Johnson plaques all over.  Contrasted to he VA
Hospital in East Orange is like Heaven and Hell. They started doing
Silverman in December and I'm their 5th  customer.  They say (what else) the
other 4  were vastly improved.   It's  only a few miles off  I-287]