Hey, Jamie, good to see your voice again.

I agree about the importation of American social assumptions -- I
know people who think they have Miranda rights.  I also know the
Canadian media ape & imitate their US counterparts weeks or months
later.

But I'd never have intentionally suggested that a reasonable person
couldn't be opposed to affirmative action.  As you say, many
reasonable people are.  I _would_, though have thought that many
reasonable people, maybe most, would be opposed to the kind of
wholesale prohibition of affirmative action policies or actions
being suggested in the US Congress.  And, equally, might be
interested to know about it.

I didn't think Eric was assuming that anybody would "march to the
cause."  Or that his audience is homogenous, or that it shares his
values.  Of course, I can't be sure . . . Eric?

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~