> respond).  Testing is a useful way to allocate scarce resources in
> universities, colleges and technical schools.  It's also a useful way to
> generate data that can be used by the individual and the institution.

That's certainly the conventional argument and one which the general
public supports.  But what concerns me about this argument - and
always has concerned me - is too much attention is paid to the tests
themselves (their rightness of fit, contextual authenticity, validity
for any given group) and not enough to the values and assumptions
that drive the assessment/testing machine. And make no mistake - it
is a machine and a very expensive one.

I'm with Gardner, among others: I would love to see all the money
devoted to fine-tuning the machine (research, administration, among
other related activities) spent on teaching/learning with students.
And no - I won't accept the argument that we need megadollars
spent on researching assessment in order to adequately inform our
teaching.

I have a child with special needs, and I have worked extensively
with children such as him. I can tell you that the major source of
salient and relevant information about how to help him or others
like him comes NOT from assessment tools -- regardless of their
sensitivity (to culture, ability, and so on) -- but what I learn by
spending time working in context, in realistic (and useful and
meaningful) learning activities.

The money we devote to large scale assessment is money that supports
one of our greatest educational myths: that we can, in almost all
cases, find some instrument that allows us to escape time with
predictions.

Lorri

Lorri Neilsen
Associate Professor
Mount Saint Vincent University
166 Bedford Highway
Halifax, Nova Scotia CANADA B3M 2J6
Ph (902) 457-6156 (voicemail)/FAX (902) 457-4911
Email: [log in to unmask]