Seems to me the answer to Jamie's puzzlement is twofold: Eric passed
it on, thinking we might be interested; he may have done so on the
ground that if an act like this passes in the US it would have
consequences for CASLL subscribers who are in the US (and there are
quite a number), as well as for those of us in Canada who deal with
the US -- hiring people from there or sending students there for
jobs, etc.

> I'm puzzled as to why this posting is in a Canadian forum.  I'm
> also puzzled by the assumption that right-thinking writing and
> reading researchers and teachers would or should oppose
> "affirmative action."

I'm not sure where you see this assumption, Jamie -- what I thought I
saw was an assumption that, um, reasonable people would or should
oppose _attempts to abolish_ affirmative action programs utterly.

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~