Howdy Russ,

A minor note:  your reply came in my box before my original message!

You might guess as to my motivation in the first point:  I sometimes think
that Canadians too often take on the concerns of American public life
unthinkingly.  We too often talk about American problems and
preoccupations as if they are ours.  We've got enough problems in
Canada without taking on our neighbour's.  That's all.

As to the second point, I think a reasonable person can be opposed to
affirmative action -- mnay reasonable people are.  Part of me is.  I don't
have black and white views on this, but my experience in Canada and
Nigeria tells me that well-meaning positive discrimination measures come
with a cost, or rather two kinds of cost:  there's a cost to members of
the non-preferred group (e.g., a Christian male applying for medicine in
Nigeria) and there's a cost to the notion of human rights (e.g.,
colour-blind, gender-blind, religion-blind rights).  Whenever we give
preferred treatment to someone because they are a member of a group,
we are chipping away at an important idea.  The idea is that people have
rights not because of their genes or skin colour, but by dint of being
human.

It's a lot more complext than this, but a reasonable person can be
opposed to "affirmative action."  Eric's assumption that CASLL members
would march to the cause makes me think that he thinks of his audience
as homogenous and sharing his values, values that are clearly
contentious.

Cheers,

Jamie