My major problem with many of the people who oppose affirmative action
programs is that they were often silent BEFORE affirmative action
programs were in place, when the inequitable conditions were the result
of a silent oppression that passed for the natural order. In other
words, affirmative action is usually designed to counter discriminatory
practices that go unchallenged because they are advantageous to the more
powerful. We get affirmative action because women, visible minorities,
and others are discriminated against, and merit is not the deciding
factor in job selection. Affirmative action attempts to counter the
inertia (not disinterested) of usual practice. It challenges our
silence. Suddenly, those usually held powerless are given a level
playing field, and the male, or white, or North American or whatever who
doesn't get the job is cast as the victim of "political correctness," an
insidious term that suggests that conditions that prevailed before
affirmative action weren't politically correct for those in power. The
status quo is never a neutral condition, it always favors someone, and
affirmative actions of various sorts attempt to disrupt that imbalance.
I think any effort to dismantle them must be closely observed. Anthony.