More on the elephant, and Anthony's observations:

Was it Joanna Russ who said something about how easy it is to be
racist, classist, sexist - simply do nothing at all. The status
quo, as you suggest, Anthony, is the greatest force to reckon with.

And affirmative action as a means to historical redress is a notion
that most people won't buy. Yes, it's true; Canadians perhaps have a
different perspective than those in the States - we have a different
social contract. But we still see tremendous resistance to thinking
beyond individual wants/needs toward a common good. And we're still
not very good at seeing how our actions today affect the long haul.

Lorri

Lorri Neilsen
Associate Professor
Mount Saint Vincent University
166 Bedford Highway
Halifax, Nova Scotia CANADA B3M 2J6
Ph (902) 457-6156 (voicemail)/FAX (902) 457-4911
Email: [log in to unmask]