Jack: As much as I hate to admit it, there is considerable ignorance
this side of the border as well. Although our government and
institutions mouth the need for greater participation by those
traditionally overlooked (i.e., actively ignored), and though we have,
for example, committeees and royal commissions, and other bodies that
seek to examine the status of, say, women, we still practice old boy
tactics in almost all aspects of social and institutional life. We do
have one widely advertized affirmative action: Canadians are supposed to
get first crack at some jobs (and "free" trade has eroded this
practice), but I'd be happy if a less ignorant Canadian could help Jack
with this. Anthony.