>>> Victoria Littman <[log in to unmask]> 05/25/98 03:57pm
says:

"In Ontario  the Conservative Government is restructuring the funding of
schools to resemble a US system based in property taxes which might
increase present inequities, for one future example. "

This isn't what I understand.  Ontario has traditionally used property
taxes to fund education, but the Harris gov't is moving away from this.
Until recently, relatively well-to-do cities like Ottawa had handsomely
funded boards of education because of the rich tax base, while poor
boards were often found in rural and northern Ontario.

The new system, funded more (but not exclusively) by the province will
make per capita funding more equal, from what I understand.

Cheers,

Jamie

PS:  So far the contributions on affirmative action have all been pro.  One
of the reasons I have some qualms about affirmative action is that it rests
on a foundation of putting people in groups, something that's always
given me pause, not to forget the fact that many of the groups are
socially (and artificially) constructed (e.g., "visible minority").

An alternative idea that interests me is blind testing and blind interviews
(as they do for the symphony).  This may be a reasonable form of
promoting equality.  Perhaps we need to keep examining admission
requirements to ensure that they capture what we're looking for.  This
might be an improvement over the notion that "we need more people from
group X as dentists").