From: JMilton452 <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: what's Canada got to do with it
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 18:05:04 EDT

I'm with you, Victoria. For those of you who were unfortunate enough to  miss
Inkshed 15, Victoria, Patricia Golubev, and I raised questions in our
presentation on these very issues.  As for Jamie's suggestion that we try
"blind testing," forgive my cynicism, but who would determine the questions?
We already know plenty about biases in tests, and the way  they favour
particular cultures and particular experiences. When the 11 Plus exam was
established  in Great Britain in the 1950's (?) (removed in the 70's)  the
"unbiased" intelligence test results delivered a surprising result. The
percentage of girls who passed far outweighed the percentage  boys.  The
possibilty of  a nation  of educated females and undereducated males sent the
social planners scurrying.  The results were quickly adjusted to provide for a
more balanced education of males and females. Wasn't this affirmative action?
Was it wrong?