I remember at the 4Cs Russ said he was half way through Robert Scholes
"Rise and Fall of English".  I was at about the same stage myself so we
talked about it a little.  I'm wondering, has anyone else read the
book?  Does anyone have a reaction to it?  I guess I'm particularly
wondering if folks like Henry or others have thoughts on how it might
translate to the Canadian context.  Obviously the rise of "English
Literature" differs here from south of the border, but the trajectory
seems similar (i.e. a bee-line toward irrelevance, or what Scholes calls
"hypocriticism").

Anyway, it is the kind of book I feel like I need to "talk" about to get
my ideas straight, so if anyone wants to bite, I'll bite back--er--so to
speak. ;)

Rob Irish