Michelle (et al)
Oh boy, what does Scholes argue.  I think his point is that English is
not a discipline but a field.  Discipline implies a kind of coherent and
systematic approach that English lacks.  He sees part of the demise of
English as a loss of the ability to seek truth.  He takes on Rorty at
this point. He generally advocates a de-emphasis on literature as
literature, and an elevation of the teaching of writing.  The way he
puts it is a fourfold curriculum: 1. theory, by which he means a "canon
of methods to be used in studying the three aspects of textuality" 2.
history (how to situate a text), 3. production (how to compose a text)
and 4. consumption (not the disease but close).  He puts consumption
last because he says that he is trying to dethrone the "quasi-sacred
textual object".

He spends a great deal of energy explaining why this needs to occur.  He
begins by looking at how English has itself dethroned Greek, Latin, and
especially Rhetoric in the American academic system. All of this is
better handled for the Canadian context by Henry Hubert's introduction
to the instructor's edition of _Forms of Writing_ (Margaret P. brought
this to my attention--way to go Henry).

I agree with Russ that his ideas lack specifics and when they include
them they only cloud the issue. At the same time, I've found that his
general assessment of the case of English is pretty accurate to my
experience.

As for your query about "literacy" Scholes is not addressing this
directly.  He looks at students lack of "textual power", their inability
to handle a text-mediated world, and I guess that is what we might call
high-level literacy.

Well gotta go for now. Hope to hear more

Rob Irish