Marion,

You wrote:

>I had a pallidotomy at USC in July of last year. Immediately after and f=
or
the
>next 5 days, I was dancing- I felt light and agile, the best I've felt i=
10
>years. Then I began to notice my tremors coming back on my right side  (=
had
>a left pallidotomy) and
>my agility gradually decreased. However, the rigidity on my right side
>continues to be  about 20% of what it was pre-op with virtually no
>cogwheeling. But for those five glorious days, it seemed as though all t=
he
>neural pathways that govern movement, that pattern behavior, that allow
>automatic action and response, were up and functioning. I guess it's
>reassuring to know that the old circuits are still there...if  I could
just
>get some "juice" in them.

The reason you had a good result for the first five days was do to the
swelling of the brain at the lesion site.  But when the swelling went dow=
you lost these benefits because the surgeon had not hit the critical targ=
et
within 1-2 mm of the optic nerve-internal capsule.

So you like so many others are forced to live with a less than optimal
result.  That is the whole point of my seeking to bring to light this who=
le
issue about ALL PALLIDOTOMIES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL.  That is the bad new=
s.
 The good news is that a skilled pallidotomy neurosurgeon can redo your
pallidotomy with good results.

Don Berns D. Min.
110 Delano Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15236