Thea Lou Seese

First let me thank you for responding to my post NOT ALL PALLIDOTOMIES AR=
CREATED EQUAL.  It was designed to spark some discussion.
Believe me I am pleased to hear Gordon has had as good a result as he has=

had.  Do I recall correctly did he have a unilateral pallidotomy in
Portland with Dr. Burchiel?
You wrote I do not understand how a surgeon can do two things at once. =

To have a bi- lateral pallidotomy simply means that they do both sides of=

the brain.  Not unlike having two wisdom teeth extracted.

Faith in your surgeon is of the utmost importance.  In fact this is the
very point I was making in posting NOT ALL PALLIDOTOMIES ARE CREATED EQUA=
L.
 We need to put pressure on our surgeons to be the best they can be and n=
ot
just accept whatever they have to offer us be it an 8 hour surgery =

Dr. Iacono has been doing this surgery for over five years.  Unlike other=

neurosurgeons who do one or two a week.  He does 6-8 a week.  One side
takes around 1 1/2 hours.  So if you do your math it is not hard to see w=
hy
Dr. Iacono has done so many more pallidotomies than the other surgeons.

My plea is that we have to call our surgeons to a higher standard of
excellence.  If we aren't going to do this, Who is?  I think that when we=

talk about having a pallidotomy we need to in the same breath say who the=

surgeon was, and where the surgery took place because if all of us who ha=
ve
had pallidotomies could get together in one room we would see that NOT AL=
PALLIDOTOMIES ARE CREATED EQUAL.

Thanks for opening up a discussion on this critical issue.

Pallidotomingly yours,

Don Berns

Don Berns D. Min
110 Delano Dr.