Donna,
I am probably the last one to tell you to switch neuros, but i can't imagine
his telling you you must get up to a specific dosage.  The drug rep  and neuro
told us to stop when we rached a dosage that WORKS.  The best response for
most folks seems to be 1.0-1.5mg 3X per day.  but both the rep and our neuro
(although I am less than impressed with him) told us to not go to the top.
The idea is to keep something inreserve for the time when the symptoms
increase there is till room to move on the Mirapex.  Our problem is
hallucinations on the Mirapex.
Good luck!