This indicates what Money Magazine, in its scathing articles from last Sept
and, I think, Nov, said about this chicken-s--- outfit.  Each SS office
makes its own rules,and as a result, like for the Stork here, they
occasionally screw up and do the right thing.  The impression I got from the
article is that it is a bad organization employing some bad people, much
like the IRS - government out of control.

Unfortunately, the pols, I think, like it this way.  For instance, Sen.
D'Amato, from that (insufferable) state to the north of here, is currently
running a reelection ad bragging about how he got some woman's SSDI approved
amidst all the government "red tape," that as a legislator is his friggin'
fault for not fixing!

This form of "local rules" operation seems to work for the VA because there
is some rationale involved -  it's based on availability of service at each
hospital, and it is official in-writing policy.  I am a category 7, the
lowest priority, but I still get service at the one I go to for meds because
they have the capacity.
If I didn't I could always find one that did. In Minneapolis, for instance,
I know I would not be served. I WONDER ABOUT  DOING THIS WITH THE  SSA!
Assuming you couldn't just go to another SSA office if you didn't like the
answer you got at the first one, I wonder if you could instead pick a
friendlier one to start with.  Like this one here.  Perhaps good and bad (or
rather bad and badder!) SSA office locations could be posted here.  I sure
as heck would not (and will not, when the time comes) accept the word of
someone who works there on this; it  needs to be tested a few times.
Getting on that road to the cure will be great, but meanwhile some amongst
us in the US need to eat.

It would sure be useful if someone here could try this and let us know if,
in fact, you are told you must go to a particular office.   And I still
think that once we get Udall funded (and while we're waiting for the cure to
happen) we should use our new  political contacts to start picking on this
sorry outfit.  We're probably their biggest customer.