hi darwin

you wrote:
>Violation of copyright laws is a serious offense.
>I would hope that there isn't a company or individual
>out there who would be so rigid to enforce compliance
>when obviously we are just trying to spread the word
>on our disease as best we can. Be careful anyway!!!!
>It usually only would take a few minutes to obtain permission
>by e-mail to distribute the info to the list. The permission
>must be noted on the posting.

my understanding is somewhat different
i believe that the copyright regulations are intended primarily
to deter copying 'for profit'

once the article is available 'in the public realm'
i.e. the day it is published and 'on the street'
i think it then has become 'fair game'
unless i try to make money from it

for instance
if i included a reuters news report
in a book i wrote and then sold that book for a profit
i would have to obtain permission [at a price] or be sued

if there is no profit involved and the copying is for private use
i cannot see that there would be a problem

copying for the list is not 'publishing':
it would be the same as photocopying something
from a newspaper or a book for a friend

i can't imagine that reuters would be interested in answering
those kinds of requests for distribution permission

your cyber-sibling in sharing

janet

janet paterson
51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac
almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]