Hi Janet and everyone else,

My 35 years in book publishing gives me a little insight into the arcane
world of copyright. In this case, "arcane" is really the correct adjective.

Profiting from copyright material certainly is a no-no. However, recent
worldwide tightening of copyright law (in the face of the initial impact of
photocopying) has both confused the issue and clarified it. If a piece of
writing is copyrighted, then "re-publication," even where there is no
profit, is breaking copyright. However, for benign public use or
re-distribution (such as reprinting in a Parkinson newsletter), most
copyright holders will grant permission when asked.

Therefore, as a general rule, where copyright is claimed explicitly, it is
always better to ask permission.

The World Wide Web and the internet, however, pose a different and unique
set of conditions. I think it is probably safe to say that   the issue of
copyright and the internet is an unresolved question. People publishing on
the net sometimes list a copyright notice, but it is even less enforceable
than the old laws in the days of simple photocopying. Essentially, the
system works because enough people accept the limitations --- either they
ask for permission and get it for a fee or at no charge.  With the Internet,
the situation may -- I say, may -- be inherently free of copyright
restrictions. One school of thought (to which I lean) is that if you put
something online, it is automatically public information. My own view is
that the internet and the web in particular, is one of the most democratic
innovations we have ever seen. I lean to an anti-copyright position because
of this and feel that it is important to avoid commercial exploitation and
control.

Another school would argue that everything is copyrighted under the concept
of intellectual property.

Some organizations concerned about copyright protection, restrict access and
charge membership or user fees.

It is all very confusing, but the bottom line is not whether you profit from
reproducing copyright material, but whether you are making "fair" use.

Sorry, for the long reply, especially for those who agree it is
arcane....too arcane for this most excellent list!

Best to all,

Peter

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]