hi all

this cyber-conver-sation about copyrights is interesting

i still cannot fathom how copying something anything
a joke, a news article, a medical study, a photocopy of a painting,
and 'giving' that copy to a friend
no commercial interest no profit motive
can be illegal
let alone controlled

a sibling mentioned an instance
where a teacher was not allowed to photocopy
pages from a textbook for distribution to students

i can understand the restriction in this case
since the teacher was acting in a paid professional mode
and the textbook publisher was 'being deprived' of further textbook sales

i have to admit a certain prejudice
in regard to the prices of the professional medical and scientific journals
i believe that their price is related to their market tolerance level
and not directly to their cost

however, that discussion is now irrelevant in my eyes,
since VP Al Gore announced PubMed's site at
the National Library of Medicine site at:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/

PubMed is
paid for by the us government
which means by all you americans [thank you!]
has given free access to 9,000,000 published medical abstracts
as well as a large and growing number of full-blown articles
from journals now directly available on the internet

be all this as it may,
i will write to NandoNet and PubMed
and get the word directly from the horse's mouth
i will keep you all posted

by the way,
NandoNet is my favourite daily news source at:
http://www.nando.net/nt/health/index_noframes.html

and while i'm at it
my other regular daily stop in the morning is:
Today's Poem at:
http://www.poems.com/today.htm

i have now added the WebRing for People With Parkinson's
to my daily surf session:
http://www.webring.org/cgi-bin/webring?ring=parkie;list

check y'all later

just another cyber-sibling

janet

THE BEST MED FOR PD IS EXPOSURE TO FLASH

janet paterson
51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac
almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]