Copyright law is often confusing,baffling and unreasonable. I got involved
in it at church - copying hymns etc.. It's dangerous. One church cited as an
example got fined $50,000 for copying illegally. I wound up with a file
about 1 1/2 inches thick. The best advice I got from experts is " If it's
copyrighted then ask permission before copying. " The present law is being
revised sometime soon to supposedly straighten some stuff out.
Here's a frinstance: Many churches tape their Sunday service for their
members confined to homes, hospitals or unable to attend church.( PWP"S)
This would include any hymns sung.  If the hymns are sung by the
congregation from their regular hymnals, no problem. BUT if the hymn is
being sung by the choir only,  from sheet music or books used by the choir
and is included in the taping, then the taping is illegal. This is one of
the things that hopefully will be straightened out in the new legislation.
Bob Anibal CG for Cecily 78/20