=85  I had planned for this to be one of those "write it to get it out of=
 my=0Asystem then don't send it " things.  I am still more than a little =
reluctant,=0Ahowever, because I found the experience greatly embarrassing=
 as well as=0Aphysically and emotionally painful.

Because of the recent spate of e-postings showing interest in "drug=0Ahol=
idays,"(DH) I was surprised that no one seemed to have much of an opinion=
=0Aon these things.  I do not know that this should encourage anyone to d=
o one of=0Athese. As you might have guessed, I have an opinion.  My exper=
ience=85

The drug holiday:

I understand that these are no big deal for certain folks whose PD varies=
 from=0Amine.
However, Drug holidays are the absolute pits for many PWP:

Mine came as part of an evaluation for retirement--after three years of=
=0ASinemet therapy.

The hospital staff rarely laid hands on me after the admitting physical e=
xam.=0AThe first day things weren't too bad.  After that, I was hurting--=
a lot.=0ASeeing only bradykinesia, the staff had no idea how rigid (and p=
ainful) my=0Aentire left side and especially my left leg was becoming.

When I finally called a halt to this craziness at the end of 5 days, the =
staff=0Asomehow determined that I was being a sissy.

It took my first Sinemet dose about thirty minutes to work.  The other=0A=
patients and I  then witnessed an "awakening" as dramatic as if Jesus Chr=
ist,=0Ahimself had healed me.  I felt great.  However, my comfort, my ela=
tion and my=0Adose lasted about two hours.  Then I was back in my own pri=
vate world of pain=0Auntil thirty minutes after my next dose--four hours =
after the first.  I=0Abounced around from great for two hours to near dea=
d for two hours and thirty=0Aminutes for about a month before I noticed "=
off" felt bearable again.

Speculation on how DHs work:

 I have observed that Sinemet (the most dramatic drug) and some of the ot=
her=0Aanti PD drugs have both acute and chronic benefits for the PWP.

1.  The acute benefit counters PD symptoms hourly, causing the "on" part =
of=0Athe daily cycle of "on-off."
When conscientious neurologists construct a "dose response curve," this i=
s=0Awhat they plot.

2.  The chronic benefit is responsible for the base line "off" that impro=
ves=0Aover the course of six months--sometimes longer--after initiating S=
inemet (and=0Aperhaps others).  It took me about two months to regain the=
 ability to walk=0Awhile "off."

The best I can figure it, that drug holiday wiped out the chronic effect =
of my=0Athree years on Sinemet.

  I believe that DHs are now recommended very rarely and only in an ICU=
=0Asetting.  Mine may have had a beneficial effect.  I was able to return=
 to work=0Afor a couple of years starting about six months post "holiday.=
"

My conclusions:

1. IA DH is a far bigger deal than the hospital staff or I anticipated.
2. It may have helped my PD symptoms.
3. A DH is not a thing to be taken lightly.
4. It would probably require a trip to hell to feel worse.

Regards,
WHH 54/18