On Mon 04 May, HEIT BILL wrote:

> However, Drug holidays are the absolute pits for many PWP:
>
> Mine came as part of an evaluation for retirement--after three years of
> Sinemet therapy.

> When I finally called a halt to this craziness at the end of 5 days, the staff
> somehow determined that I was being a sissy.
>
> It took my first Sinemet dose about thirty minutes to work.  The other
> patients and I  then witnessed an "awakening" as dramatic as if Jesus Christ,
> himself had healed me.  I felt great.  However, my comfort, my elation and my
> dose lasted about two hours.  Then I was back in my own private world of pain
> until thirty minutes after my next dose--four hours after the first.  I
> bounced around from great for two hours to near dead for two hours and thirty
> minutes for about a month before I noticed "off" felt bearable again.

Hello Bill, I could almost feel your pain and discomfort at what I have
always felt was a pointless exercise. The thing that absolutely shocked
me however was that you were allowed to bounce from underdose to over-
dose for so long, when a small adjustment to your meds would have stabilised
you and prevented all that.  If those doctors were that ignorant about
the effects of the drugs, they should not have been allowed to play with
dangerous toys.
The more I read about people who have had 'drug Holidays' the more determined
I am to avoid them at all costs. Thanks for sharing it with us

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>