 Church Copyright Licensing International is the major licensing outfit used
by churches to be licensed to copy hymns. The cost is a function of the
average Sunday  attendance. For attendance of 100 or less the cost is $89
per year. An annual report of the songs copied must be filed. When a church
signs up with them they send a very comprehensive volume of information on
copyright law as pertaining to churches, also a list of the hymns they
cover. If you want to copy a hymn they don't cover then you have to get
permission from the licensing outfit for that copyright owner. There are
other companies in the business.  We got involved in this area at our church
and I took the bull by the horns and investigated and wound up with CCLI.
They are on the web   http://www.ccli.com.
If anyone is interested in pursuing this subject further  contact me on
e-mail
Bob Anibal