-- [ From: Seymour Gross * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

  "While the goal of finding cures for the worst diseases and illnesses
by the end of the next decade is no doubt ambitious, we have always been
an ambitious people and we have always succeeded where we have applied
our national will.  Only by starting an all-out war against disease and
illness can we have any chance of winning the war.  In the process of
waging this national effort, today's generation of scientists and
doctors will conduct essential research, discover what does and does not
work, and add to the fund of knowledge from which cures will ultimately
derive.
  "Winning the war against disease and illness will not only greatly
reduce human suffering, but will also result in enormous financial
savings to the country as a whole.  Medicare and Medicaid costs will
fall, and productivity will rise as the workforce becomes more healthy
and able-bodied.  Indeed, additional spending on medical research is
likely to pay for itself many times over.
  "We as a nation, therefore must call on our leaders to take up the
battle against disease and illness.  Our leaders, in turn, must
articulate a systematic and credible program for eradicating the worst
diseases from among us.
  "Let us as a people - with all our financial and technological might
and our best fighting spirit - join this battle for ourselves and for
our children and grandchildren."