Important business first: The PWP WebRing now has 16 sites
online, one in the queue and one more on my desk waiting for
me to set it up. That, my friends, represents 1% of the
total viewers of this list. ( A moment's pause to ponder
this fact.)

While I'm tickled pink over the people who have put in the
effort to be part of the ring, I'm a little concerned about
the 99% who seem reluctant to say anything. Let me repeat
myself:

The PWP WebRing has a two-fold purpose. One - as a resource
for those who seek information and personal experience
stories about PD. Two - as a method of increasing public
awareness about PD. The larger the Ring, the more power it
will have to fullfill it's duties. To join the Ring means
simply to place a linking banner somewhere on the page which
many of you have on the web. Folks can go from one PD site
along the ring to the next without having to use the search
engines.

The offer: if you don't have a web site, I will make one for
you. If you don't have a place to put it, I'll set it up on
my server. This is NOT free. There IS a charge for this -
once a week you must help someone, either by writing to this
list, writing to the PWP Forum on my site, or by helping
someone in your support group..

Bottom line: We need your story. Please. By helping others,
you may return the good a million fold to all of us - by
helping those who are trying to find a cure for PD. I really
rather not have PD anymore and, all things considered, you
probably feel the same way. Let's do something about it.

Someone complained about the speed of the Ring - saying it
was very slow to go from one site to another. For those who
are unfamiliar with the WWW, let me explain something.

I have absolutely no control over the speed of these sites.
The speed of the internet is dictated by everything from the
weather around your home to servers in Boston and London to
the classrooms in Las Vegas. As the internet grows larger
and the demands placed upon a largely outdated system
increase, slower speeds are a natural result. I only hope
that new technology coming online will be affordable enough
to ease the load.

A great place to check when the Web seems to drag is:
http://www.internettrafficreport.com/
Which gives a detailed report of the net at any set time. As
I write this it shows that the routers in Boston and Chicago
are crawling and Las Vegas and San Francisco routers are
completely down. The internet speed, on a scale of 0-100, is
55.

When Boston goes down, my New Country site in AZ becomes
unreachable from my home in SE Texas until the traffic is
rerouted. (Which is why I could not upload anything for
about 5 hours the other day.)

The webring.org site is the only site I know of which has
the type of webring hosting we need at no cost. These folks
are basically donating their time, efforts and server space
to the internet community. They host thousands of rings,
thus they have a heavy demand upon their computers,
particularly during heavy traffic hours. The sacrifice of
waiting is worth the time spent for what we, the PWP, are
obtaining at no cost. Personally, I cannot afford a server
to handle the demands for the PWP WebRing and keep the site
as a free resource. I am already out $40 a month for what I
have now, but it's a price I'm willing to pay for the
eventual good which we all may receive at some distant
point.

Be assured that, were I able to do anything about the page
Dumpster's site doesn't cost money. No one is paying a
nickle to be a part of it, or to access it, and I intend to
keep it that way. I'm in this because I don't want to have
Parkinson's anymore. As much as I love you people, I'd
rather none of us have PD as our common bond. I think we
could all have a lot more fun on a trailride, eating BBQ and
singing songs, which would probably spook the horses into a
stampede, but since none of us would have PD we could handle
that, right?

--
Jerry Finch
The Official PWP Dumpster Gang Hideout