Barb Mallut--

We're a much smaller community than yours--<100,000---but when we started
our support group we used several avenues you might explore.

1. Contact the neurologists in your area and see if they keep a list of
support groups you can be added to, or are willing to have you put some
fliers or a notice up in their waiting rooms.

2. Put a notice/flier on the bulletin board of the local YMCA and YMHA;
local supermarkets and drugstores, especially, that have bb's are another
target for fliers.

3. We have a senior center and not only put a notice up there but talked to
the director so that she could help steer newbies our way.

4. Each founding member and succeeding member was urged to mention the
group; whenever they heard of a prospect:   "PD?   Oh, yes, Uncle Charlie
has that."  "Does he?  Tell him that there's a new support group in town
and we'd love to have him come--tell him  to call me for info or if you
don't think he'd come alone, bring him to our next meeting."  Our director,
a fellow PD veteran of 10 years, is not shy; he goes up to strangers in the
supermarket that he's sure have PD, introduces himself and invites them to
the next meeting.   My friends, who know of my connection, steer people to
me when they meet someone newly diagnosed or new to town.  We've gotten
lots this way.

Good luck in recruiting!

Kathy Kunz

5.  I'm sure you've tapped into the community calendars in the local
papers; we also make sure our mtgs are listed in the different neuro
newsletters put out by OKC's Mercy Hospital, OUMC, etc.