--

This is a  thank you to all the listmembers who replied to our April
e-Mail " Help!!! Allergy            And Mirapex".   A summary of what we
learned follows.

 Thank you for  your help.

Why we posted the request--

A group member had been taking the Mirapex in clinical trials. It was very
helpful and she continued to take Mirapex after the trial was over. When
Mirapex was approved for general use she got a supply from the local
pharmacy. It was these that made her ill. This pharmacy sends a detailed
instruction sheet with all new prescriptions The sheet contained an
ingredient list saying that cornstarch was used as an inert filler. Yikes
!! She is allergic to cornstarch!!!

All the list letters were forwarded to the family and the Movement
Disorder Clinic and they organized the follow-up. including a call to
Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd.

We learned that the contents of the trial pill are the same as the
commercial one even the fillers

We learned that the cornstarch would not upset the stomach if washed down
with a LARGE glass or two of warm water.

We learned that there are specialized pharmacies which make up tablets for
special orders. They can leave out fillers, colours and sweeteners which
could cause a reaction. The pharmaceutical companies are willing to
provide the active ingredients when the drug has been around a few years.

We learned that there is one of these pharmacies in Medford, New Jersey.
We talked to them on the phone.  There is, possibly, one such pharmacy in
Toronto, and we found that Central Pharmacy will also prepare (dispense)
special orders. And where is Central Pharmacy? It is  in Grand
Falls-Windsor right in the centre of Newfoundland.

So we went looking round the world and we found help in a simple glass of
water

and a special service pharmacy in our province. But we would not have
found

anything without the list.

Thank you

 Anne Rutherford