We (my wife/CG and I) did it ourselves after finding that lawyers can get as
much as a good percent of the settlement for their actions,  Of course the SS
folks helped by their reasons for denials
denial #:
                1.               I could go back to flying fighter planes--a sit down job, no heavy
lifting required, etc.
                2.              I could return to being a physician -- also no heavy lifting, etc.,
etc.
Ah the reasoning power of a bureaucracy -- awesome...
I could not have timed things so perfectly so I consider this story an act of
God:

I walked into the court presence and enjoyed a few minutes of near perfect
function -- having  cycled to "on" about two hours previous -- when I then
cycled  "off" in front of that judge, and Mary had to tale over, I could not
have made a better case for myself.
the judge ruled immediately and we got enough in retrograde payments to put a
down payment on a home  in our case  the court consisted of a judge and two
auxiliaries (administrative?) people.

The moral: do not fear "going to court."  It can clear up/speed things along
It is one place where PD making you miserable is good.

Regards,
WHH 54/18