> Hi Janet
>
> [SNIP]
>
> There's only one thing for it: complete every answer as if you were at
> your worst OFF all the time. In UK, this is how we have to answer the
> various claim forms. Also in UK an end-of-dose disability is just as
> legally a disability as a full-time disability.
>
> Good luck
>
> Jeremy
>
> >however, i now have to complete
> >a multi-page form of supplementary medical information
> >
> >this form looks suspiciously computer-database-oriented
> >i.e. it appears that the answers will have to be
> >entered into a computer
> >
> >the problem is
> >the black/white answer format allows for no shades of grey
> >
> >for example:
> >
> >>How would you rate your ability in doing the following tasks or
functions?

> >>Put one number in each box. The numbers mean:
> >>
> >>1 = You are fully capable of doing this function
> >>2 = You have minor dificulty doing this function.
> >>3 = You have moderate dificulty doing this function.
> >>4 = You have serious dificulty doing this function.
> >>5 = You have severe dificulty doing this function.
> >>
> >> ___ Sitting
> >> ___ Standing
> >> ___ Walking
> >> ___ Bending
> >> ___ Lifting
> >> ___ Carrying
> >> ___ Using Hands and Fingers
> >> ___ Breathing
> >
> >et cetera et cetera et cetera
> >
> >the grey area here
> >is in the fact that the effectiveness of my meds
> >and the degree of side-effects
> >and thus my abilities
> >vary from one hour to the next
> >
> >so my answer to the above in re walking could range from
> >1 all the way up to 5 depending on my 'on/off' status
> >
> >what to do?
> >
> >janet
> >
> >janet paterson
> >51/10 - sinemet/selegiline/prozac
> >almonte/ontario/canada - [log in to unmask]
> >

> --
> Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
> Hampshire, UK

Janet, I think sometimes the people who work in these areas need a little
background in medical conditions, i.e., that there is no cure for
Parkinson's Disease and, therefore, the person will not return to normal
ability to function.  Approximately two months after my application for
disability retirement was submitted, they sent ne a "form letter" requesting
additional information from my physicians.won.  These questions were
answered in the letters attached to my original application.  Some of the
questions were:

        An estimate of the expected date of full or partial recovery.

        An explanation of the impact of the medical condition on your life
activities, both and off the job.

Needless to say, I would love it if there were a cure for PD and I could go
back to work.  Unfortunately that is not the case.  My doctors both
responded very well to the questions.

My Internal Medicine Dr. stated "...She is not expected to have a full or
partial recovery. The impact of her medical condition on her life
activitites both on and off the job has been devastating.  Her condition is
not stable based on my observed declining status over the last three years.
Her Parkinson's is an incompacitating medical condition, she is not able to
work."

My Neurologist stated "...Ms. Watkins' tremors, dyskinesias, bradykinesia
and loss of fine motor control make it impossible for her to continue her
current job as a secretary at the Harry S. Truman VAMC.  As this is a
progressive condition, I do not feel that she would benefit from retraining
or reassignment."

My disability was approved by Civil Service Retirement System.

I have now filed an application for Medicare through the Social Security
office.  My understanding is that in order to get approved for Medicare, I
would have to be approved under the disability criteria required by Social
Security.  If approved by them, I would be eligible to received Medicare two
years from the date I retired.    I have not received a response from them
yet.