----------------------- Headers -------In a message dated 5/8/98 2:06:51 PM
Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  I get tired of
 well-intentioned people telling me they read or heard of the latest
 treatment for PD and I should not worry any more about having it.
 The news media makes it sound as if having a progressive incurable
 disorder is ok because there is always something new to "fix" us and
 the complete cure is coming on the market "tomorrow".

Marling,
There is one other (related?) thing that well intentioned, normal folks do to
us and against which we must guard.  Nobody likes a whiner, right?  However,
if one shows too much courage, not paying attention to the difficulties, they
start to put us in the "brave boys don't bleed" category.  This has happened
to Mohammed Ali, and Annette Funachello(sp?) before.

I am certain that non famous PWPs and others with major problems see this all
the time too.
However, Chris Reeve's speech at the Democratic National Convention is a prime
example.  His speech was about priorities and  research funding.  What the
news people talked about was his courage.

Healthy political people and others tend to feel that to complement one is to
do something for him/her.  One lionizes heroes rather than helping them. We
all need to temper our best impulses with the axiom: "Don't be that kind of
hero."

Regards,
WHH 54/18

PS: The correct answer to the question "How are you?" is "Fine!"