Mother's Day
The other day, while on a driving errand in the San Fernando
Valley, I witnessed a little drama that seemed trivial at the
time, but I can't seem to get it off my mind, so I'll share it
with the List:
On one of the busy, six-lane surface arteries, I saw a small
short-haired mongrel crossing in front of me, carefully keeping
within the marked crosswalk just as a person would do, and
followed by an even smaller dog that I presumed was her pup. I
slowed to let them get by, but thinking, the law only protects
people in crosswalks, not little animals who might not even be
seen by an impatient driver. Mom got across safely but the pup,
evidently scared by the car nearly on him, turned back to the
curb where they started. So I held up traffic for a few seconds
while the pup, to my relief, ran across to his waiting mother.
Then I thought, neither animal had a collar, and they probably
were abandoned strays. Crossing the street must have been a
minor problem compared to the daily search for food, finding
shelter during the long chilly winters, and escaping capture
by predators or the dog catcher. As I drove off I thought, if
those two can survive problems like theirs, then living with
PD for us should be a piece of cake. Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403-5013