Dear Fellow List Members,
Just want to apologize.  It appears that I may have sent two of one letter,
thinking that I had sent all three and to complicate matters even further, I
know there was a third letter but don't know which one I sent.  Please forgive
me.  I apologize.  The letters are what I term "shells."  In other words, they
may be individually tailored or serve as examples of letters one could write
to a congressman or senator.  So I'm going to try to send the two I may or may
not have sent. Called a friend who shared with me how to copy two letters into
one email, so let's hope it works.

Here goes something, I hope.  YES!  In case I've already sent this one, there
is another letter under it.

Why has the Udall Act for Parkinson's Research and Education not been funded?
As a co-sponsor of the bill, I would hope that you are doing everything in
your power to move the Appropriations Committee to fully fund it to the level
of $100,000,000 per year, the amount for which it was approved.

I do not buy that the concept of "earmarking" should be a reason for the
moneys not to be appropriated.  Earmarking is being done every day.  There is
ample precedent for it.

There is something terribly wrong with our priorities.  When we as a nation
spend $34 MILLION for research on a disease which is costing society $25
BILLION in direct and indirect costs with the promise of much much more as the
"Baby Boomers" age, plus incalculable human suffering and fund the Pentagon to
a level of almost $268 Billion, I am left to wonder what is wrong with our
priorities.

Who is the enemy anyway?

I hope to hear from you soon to let me know what you are doing the rectify
this situation which makes absolutely no sense fiscally or in any other way.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Another possibility:

As a member of the United States House of Representatives (or Senate -
customize here), you have an obligation to me and to the citizens of the
United States to protect us. You've proven that you understand this in one way
by appropriating more than $267 Billion to the Pentagon. What you may not
understand is that with the graying of America, we have worse enemies to worry
about and from my vantage point, we are not doing enough about them.  We need
to be aggressive in our fight of the real enemies-the threats (such as
Parkinson's Disease) to our nation's health.

You have a tremendous scientific opportunity before you AND an opportunity to
spend $100 Million a year to save more than $24 Billion a year, which is the
price we pay in terms of direct and indirect costs for Parkinson's Disease.
You have the opportunity to end incalculable human suffering for now more than
a million people in the United States and millions more soon to come.   You
see the average age of diagnosis for this dreaded disease is 57 years of age
and we still don't understand enough about who will develop it and who will
not to rule out that you or I or someone dear to you or me will not become its
victim.  Parkinson's is not just something that always happens to someone
else.

Using all your powers of influence (knowing that you have the support of your
constituents and of the American people) to fully fund the Morris Udall Act
for Parkinson's Research and Education, passed last fall, could bring about
effective and long-lasting therapies and perhaps even a cure.  We might even
learn how to prevent it.  Wouldn't you like for your legacy to be one of
defending the Nation's health?

Please write to let me know your plans for seeing that the Morris K. Udall Act
is fully funded.  Please do not speak of "earmarking."  Earmarking is done
every day!

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Hope this helps.