In a message dated 5/11/98 5:52:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 In a message dated 5/10/98 11:19:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
 [log in to unmask] writes:

 << Here's another possible sample letter which could with a little work be
 sent
  to a member of Congress.  Actually, it is #4.

 Barbara letter # 4 is a great letter and needs little or no revisions. If
list
 members would copy this letter and attach a petition with support group
 members signatures and any other signatures obtained  and send it to the key
 appropriation members we might get more attention to our appropriation
effort.

 If you have a word processor just change the addresee on the letter and you
 can send to all 29 key appropriation members. Attach copies of your petition
 signatures to each letter.
 A couple of hours work will help us all.

here's  another one.

The Honorable Neut Gingrich,
Speaker of  the US House of Representatives
U.S. House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative Gingrich,

Please help us.
This letter is about ending Parkinson's Disease(PD).
We want immediate funding of the entire Udall Bill. We have three major
questions with which you must deal when you grapple with federal spending in
the next few weeks.

1. Why does nobody acknowledge the waste inherent in the status quo?
Conservatively estimated at five billion dollars a year, not funding the Udall
Bill insures the waste of more than 13.6 million dollars daily.  Please try to
stop this hemorrhage of taxpayer money.  Some Americans are fond of pointing
to the cost of military hardware and asking: "Why couldn't that be diverted
into medical research"?  However, the real costs are such that one could more
legitimately ask,  "Why couldn't what we spend on chronic diseases like PD be
used to buy something less expensive--like aircraft carriers and B-2s?"

2. Is the use of "earmarked funds" really so terrible?
Why are some Congressmen so rigid about this?  Letting the NIH administration
allocate funds has not worked over many years -including last year.  Now that
there are so many elegant research possibilities like the various growth
factors, can we afford to continue these priorities?  PD research funding has
struggled along at less than $40.00 per patient for many years. As little as
three years ago, this was $28.  Nerve growth factors were discovered over five
years ago.  In 1993, the NIH was funding research on a decades old medicine
teamed with a period of abstinence--"drug holidays."  If earmarking gets the
job done what difference does it make?  Why should the NIH research hierarchy
be against this?

3. Why can't Congress move faster on this?
Over a million suffering Americans and countless others worldwide, are waiting
for a cure or significant therapy to be found for Parkinson's Disease (PD).
Their object is to return from the ravages of PD to a more normal,
comfortable, and productive life.  PD is greatly misunderstood.  Early
treatment works very well.  However, starting in a few short years, the
treated disease grows from a minor inconvenience to a dreadful, uncomfortable,
life-eating monster.  The disease gradually produces weirdness and inactivity,
the results of which make most patients appear reclusive and lazy.  If you
want to see what this disease is, don't look at Janet Reno, visit Mo Udall.

We have friends with PD.  Please help them. We appreciate what you did with
diabetes.

Please see to full funding for the Udall Bill as soon as possible.  Get the
elegant research started.  Pay today for huge future savings.
We await your reply.

Sincerely,

Regards,
WHH 54/18