Here's another Udall Shell.  It's mostly from a fiscal point of view, but with
a little work. . .
Barb

Udall shell #6

Something is terribly wrong when we allow the Pentagon to spend close to $268
Billion annually but at the same time offer the National Institutes of Health,
America's federal research center, less than $14 Billion. When the most
formidable enemy of our nation is not some malevolent foreign power, but
rather disease, how can we expect to remain the most powerful nation on Earth
without our health?

Can our lawmakers not see that this situation is only going to worsen as the
"baby boomers" age?  According to Abraham Lieberman, M.D., Medical Director of
the National Parkinson Foundation and Executive Director of the Muhammad Ali
Parkinson's Institute in Phoenix, AZ, estimates that at least ten million
people in the U. S. over age 60 stand to develop Parkinson's, if they live
long enough. He goes on to ask an important question:  "Given the increased
chance of developing PD with increased life, what is the point of conquering
cancer, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes if the end result is a population,
10% of whom have PD and 10% of whom must care for the afflicted or live in
dread of being afflicted?"

A Duke University Study found that each Parkinson's Disease patient cost
$25,000 a year in societal and family costs in 1994 dollars.  Let's see, ten
million times $25,000 would equal $250 Billion a year.  In 1998 dollars,
that's more than we're spending on defense this year. Now, let's add
Alzheimer's, diabetes, stroke, heart disease, cancer, and infectious disease
into the equation.

Yes, I'll admit it.  I have a vested interest in seeing an all out attack on
Parkinson's Disease because someone close to me is so afflicted, but how do
you know you or someone close to you will not develop it?  You will never know
unless you are willing to fully fund the Morris K. Udall Act for Parkinson's
Research and Education, which for lack of a better word, is "stuck" in
Appropriations.  $100 Million a year to save $25 Billion a year now and
possibly $250 Billion a year in the not too distant future is a deal!  Most
seriously, how can we expect to our children to take on such an obligation?

You have a marvelous scientific opportunity before you, and if you don't grab
it, shame on you!  Our nation is a "Nation at Risk."  The Dana Alliance for
Brain Initiatives describes Parkinson's as "one of the brightest spots in
brain research."  It is thought that research into Parkinson's may well hold
the key to other neuro-degenerative diseases.  We've created the Atom Bomb,
put a man on the moon and, recently, a zoo in the sky, and made the best
outhouse in history!  Surely, we can do this for the good of our country!

Please help!  Throw all of your support into fully funding the Morris K. Udall
Act for Parkinson's Research and Education to a level of $100 Million a year.
It is not only our only hope, but the nation's. When Udall has been fully
funded, may you live well, knowing that what you accomplished in so doing was
an investment in the future!

Sincerely,