Udall Shell #7 from Barb Brock  This may be individually tailored and sent to
congressmen in support of Udall.

The country needs your support for fully funding the Morris K. Udall Act for
Research and Education to the approved level of $100 Million a year.  The law,
enacted as part of a larger appropriations measure last year, appears to be
stuck in Appropriations.

Parkinson's is a catastrophic neuro-degenerative disease, which affects more
than a million people in the United States.  Abraham Lieberman, M. D., head of
the National Parkinson's Foundation, estimates that there may be as many as
double that number counting those who have not yet been diagnosed.

It is an insidious disease from which no one is safe because we do not yet
know enough scientifically to predict who will get it and who will not.  There
is hope through research.  Parkinson's has been termed "one of the brightest
spots in brain research" by the Dana Alliance on Brain Initiatives.

Please do your part to see that we do not have to continue to expend $25
Billion a year in terms of direct and indirect costs when for $100 Million we
could be working on finding effective therapies and perhaps even a cure.

Within the next three decades, the number of Parkinson's Disease patients
could grow to as many as ten million as the "Baby Boomers" move into the years
most associated with Parkinson's and other neuro-degenerative diseases.  With
an average age of diagnosis of 57 years, this demographic surge is not far
removed from their "time."  We cannot expect our children to bear this burden.
We must do something proactive now before it is too late!

Do not delude yourself into thinking that I will accept the "earmarking"
excuse because I won't.  Earmarking is done every day and we both know it.

We need a strong America comprised of healthy citizens.  Do your part in
making it a reality.  Use your leadership to see that Udall is fully funded to
the approved level of $100 Million.  Do it today.  Do it for yourself, for
those you love, and for the good of the country.

Please let me hear your plans for attacking this issue, as only you know how!

Sincerely,