Dear AWalsh,
         I'm no doctor but I'm a well experienced medication taking patient
and I think your neuro may be incorrect when he says that your husband
should not take any of the other drugs in the same class as Mirapex. The
agonists may in fact be interchangeable so when one doesn't work another
may well. So I would inquire about using Requip
         Prior to switching  to Mirapex I was tried on Parlodel which was
horrible for me but I tolerated Permax quite well. The Parlodel and the
Permax are both  ergot derivative dopamine
agonists so why one works and the other doesn't remains a riddle to me
         But check around. I may be entirely wrong or I may be right

Good luck
  george