Claire Heffernan wrote:

> ... My husband has been diagnosed since 1991 . . . last Saturday he
> had an allergic reaction that almost did him in. He woke up with no
> airway through his mouth.  His uvula had swelled to a point that he
> could not breathe through his mouth or talk at all. He was
> terrified and felt at any moment his throat would close.   I took
> him straight to the hospital where the swelling was reduced with
> steroids, etc. and we went home after a couple of hours. We first
> suspected insect bite, etc. but the drs. are concerned it might be
> the Tasmar.

If Tasmar is possibly the cause, it would be good to report it to
the FDA. There is a way for you and/or the doctors to file a report.
See the FDA Medwatch web page at http://www.fda/gov/Medwatch, or call
1-800-532-4440.

An excerpt from the web page:

"MedWatch is the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) program for
health professionals to report serious reactions and problems with
medical products such as drugs and medical devices. A reaction is
considered serious if the product caused death, a life-threatening
situation, admission to a hospital or a longer than expected
hospital stay, a permanent disability, a birth defect, or the need
for medical or surgical care to prevent permanent damage."

It says that consumers may also file reports.  After receiving
and evaluating such reports, the FDA issues warnings to physicians
and consumers.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
60/9