Sherman Jumper wrote regarding the many forms to be completed when applying
for Social Security disability.  My first reaction is HANG IN THERE.

My name is Don Kaspari and I am the caregiver for Shirely, 62/5.  Shirley, a
Registered Nurse, had a Disability policy with her employer, Lincoln General
Hospital, and began receiving disability benefits when she was no longer able
to continue her duties at the hospital.  This private insurance carrier
encouraged us to apply for Social Security Disability.  It was naturally to
the insurance company's benefit, but it was also to Shirley's benefit, since
the private insurance contract was written such that if Social Seurity
benefits were received, the private inurance benefits would be reduced, but
still a substantial payment would be made by them.  In total then, the two
payments would exceed the one payment by the private insurer.  Of course this
is done to encourage applying for Social Security benefits.  We applied for
the Social Security benefits at the Social Security office.  They were very
helpful.  We were told that if the application were to be denied, we could
appeal.  It was denied.  We appealed.  Again it was denied.  We received a
letter form the private insurer, who was also receiving information regarding
the denials, stating that if we wanted to take this to the next level (to a
Federal court), that with our permission, that they (the private insurance
company) would supply an attorney and pay all fees.  We agreed.  The attorney
requested, by mail, more information regarding the case.  Approximately six
weeks later, BEFORE it got to court, we received notice from the Social
Security office that the DISABILITY BENEFITS HAD BEEN GRANTED.

To me, it seems like a game by Social Security.  I wonder how many disabled
people quit after the first try.  How many after the second try?  If it had
not been for our private insurance encouragement and the offfer to pay the
attorney's fees, I don't know if we would have gone the last route.

Anyway, Sherman, don't quit trying.  If you need help in filling out the
forms, go to your Social Security office or one of many  other social agencies
or legal services you can find in the government section of your telephone
book.  Parkinson's is a disabling disease.  The people in Social Security know
this.  I  think that they just want to check your endurance.
Don Kaspari
Lincoln, Nebraska