Gary J. Cornwell wrote:

> (From: Janet Cornwell) - Dissident/Heretic/Nonconformist/

> As I said I do NOT believe the traditional DEAD BRAIN theory,
> (which BTW seems to  be steadily losing popularity & credibility
> thankfully.) May it soon R.I.P.
>
> Mr. Bruman says that many researchers now say the brain cells
> are not actually dead, but just "inactive". I happen to think it is an
> IMPORTANT DISTINCTION to know which it is - especially if it is MY brain

Janet, as you know, your ideas are far from heresy. All they seem to
find in autopsy of PWP is depigmentation of the substantia nigra- no
mention of dead cells or shrunken volume. But when I asked my neuro
about blood supply, he said researchers had checked that and found
it normal. Brain cells are specially vulnerable to ischemia, they
DO die quickly in a stroke, and you CAN see the dead areas in
MRI imagery. My own idea is that the sn may be more vulnerable than
other regions, and perhaps only a slight but chronic deficiency, if
not of blood then something else, can cause the damage resulting in
PD. Recently advanced PET technology might be able to test the idea.
Cheers,
Joe
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road