> I  think that they just want to check your endurance.

My husband's experience in applying for social security disability is similar
to Don's wife's.  We were warned by many people that his first application
would almost certainly be denied, that this was routine, and we were not to be
discouraged but were to appeal.  His application was denied, I called the
number given, got a very nice man who clearly was on the applicants' side, and
he urged Bob to appeal and told me how to proceed.

I noted that the dr. had failed to include important information (e.g., that
my husband could not button his own shirts because of the tremor), and the
fellow said, "That often happens."  A friend is a lawyer who used to work for
soc.sec. admin., and she, too, urged Bob to appeal and offered her services.
She said when she worked for them she saw them turn down people dying of
cancer.

Fortunately for us, Bob's appeal succeeded.  I just wanted to let the List
know how many times we were told that the first application would almost
certainly be denied and that this is common practice.  Delda White CG Bob 66/1