For several years I have been a volunteer for Volunteers for Medical
Engineering (VME). My job was to provided training to VME clients who
were loaned donated computers to help with their disability.

A couple of months ago I was asked to join a Client Support Team
(CST). The CSTs are the  workhorses of VME. They review requests for
assistance and make an initial assessment their feasibility. The
project is then forwarded to the Project Review and Approval Committee
which approves projects and allocates funds for them. The approved
projects are then sent back to the CST which assembles a project team
tailored for each specific project.

I originally thought that I would be able to provide expertise
primarily in the computer area. In fact my first project was to modify
the workstation of a MS patient. As a CST trainee I was teamed with
the manager of the CST. On the way to do the initial interview of the
client I told him of the problems I encountered with my workstation at
home and the solutions I had found. As it turned out, the client had
the very same problems I had and of course I recommended the same
solutions I had developed for mine.

At the next monthly meeting of the CST I found out that I was able to
relate to other prospective projects as well. One client was
requesting aid in modifying the bathroom for a  mobility impaired
patient.  Once again I was able to relate to my own experiences and
make some initial recommendations. This was a fairly straight forward
problem for which commercial l remedies existed. The only way VME
could get involved was If modifications had to be made          due to
special circumstances.

Another request was also from a MS patient who wanted help to wash and
set her hair by herself. Again I was able to relate to her problem
since three range of motion restrictions for a person with MS is about
the same as for a PWP whose medusa are off.

Of course this time I was unable to provide a solution since either my
wife shampoos my hair or I do it myself while my meds are on.
(Continued in subsequent message)

Bruce
56/9
Sinemet CR & Mirapex