Does anyone have any experience with Neuropsychological testing and
employment issues related to Parkinson's?

Right now my situation is that I'm 47, have had visible symptoms of PD
for about 7 years, but not diagnosed correctly by former Family Practice
Physician in early stage, diagnosed with PD and began medication about 5
years ago.  My present medication schedule is Sinemet 50/200 CR  1/2
tablet x 3/day, Parlodel 2.5Mg x 4/day (I have been taking Parlodel for
several years.  It seems to help me at present dosage, but over 10Mg a
day makes me feel "anxious"), Eldepryl 5Mg once/day, and Tasmar 200 Mg x
2/day.  When I began Tasmar about 6 weeks ago, I stopped taking
Amantadine,  reduced Eldepryl from twice/day to once, and reduced
Sinemet CR from 1/2 x 4 to 1/2 tablet x 3/day.

I sleep much better since beginning Tasmar, reducing Eldepryl, and
stopping Amantadine.  I was sleeping 4-5 hours/night.
I now sleep 6-7 hours/night.  Most nights  now, I get a restful sleep,
but occasionally wake up in a contorted position.
I practice T'ai Chi Yang style forms and Eight Pieces of Brocade Qi gong
exercise, do a lot of walking (1-3 mile sessions nearly every day), and
some lap swimming in a YMCA indoor pool.  Tasmar seems to have
"smoothed" things out for me, including sexual desire.

My main accommodation in my employment is working an "accommodated" work
schedule (9:00 AM - 5:45 PM daily, Monday - Friday).   I'm a little slow
in the morning, tremor usually only bothers me when I'm tired, although
there is often a small amount of tremor in my right hand.  My work
involves sitting in a cubicle, working phone and PC and adding machine,
dealing with numerical and narrative info from "customers" via phone,
written correspondence, and some e-mail.  I have about 18 years
experience, going back before PC's, using a hand written accounting
system.  I'm getting the job done, but probably have about 1-2 "bad"
days/week.

My employer uses a private insurance company for disability benefits
(max benefit is 60% gross pay, reduced by any other
disability benefits such as from SSA or part-time employment).  Based on
my observations, I had better prepare an objective
way of measuring disability if I want to make any insurance claim in the
future.  I'm thinking about establishing a "base line" now through
testing arranged by my employer's "employee advisory service."   I work
in a union environment and am confident that the testing would not be
misused against me.

Charley Countryman  [log in to unmask]