Monday May 18, 1998
Lane Evans has Parkinson's Disease

WASHINGTON, May 18 (UPI) - Rep. Lane Evans, D-Ill., says he is suffering
from Parkinson's disease, which causes uncontrolled tremors, rigid
muscles and infrequent blinking.

The 46-year-old former U.S. Marine has represented the 17th
Congressional District in western Illinois in the House since 1982.

In a statment issued today from his Washington office, Evans said, ``As
a representative, I've faced some tough challenges in Congress. Now I'm
facing a difficult personal challenge. I'm being treated for Parkinson's
disease.''

Evans, a native of Rock Island, said he feels fine, exercises regularly
and plans to remain active in politics, although he says he does have
problems making sudden movements and needs more time to get in and out
of a car.

``I have one of the best attendance records in Congress and I exercise
and jog several times a week,'' he said. ``My doctor has told me that
this condition will not interfere with my work and I will be able to
perform at a high level for a number of years.''

Evans is the ranking Democratic member of House Veterans Affairs
Committee and serves on the National Security Committee.

Copyright 1998 by United Press International.
All rights reserved.
Copyright ©: 1994-98 Yahoo! and UPI. All Rights Reserved.
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada