From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Kathrynne Holden, MS,RD
Sent:   Monday, May 18, 1998 12:09 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: Possible Benefit for PWP?

Dear Barb and all,
Zinc deficiency is associated with loss of taste; also, zinc may help
alleviate cold symptoms. Zinc is also necessary to keep the immune
system strong. However, too much zinc can actually weaken the immune
system; and zinc is associated with Alzheimer's disease, although in
what way is not clear. I'm not sure exactly how much actual zinc was in
the 45-mg zinc sulfate tablets (45 mg of zinc, or 45 mg of zinc
sulfate?). In general, though, I don't believe it's recommended to take
supplements of much more than the RDA (15 mg/day) on a prolonged basis.
I recommend to nearly all my clients a supplement such as Centrum
(Centrum Silver if over age 50), which contains the RDA for zinc.
Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD