Charley,

I am an 56, have been diagnosed with PD for 3.5 years, and am an insulin-
dependent diabetic (late juvenile, Type I onset at age 27of 30 years).  Daily
I take 4 Mirapex (1mg), 8 Sinemet (25/100), 2 Eldepryl (5mg), 1 Zoloft (50
mg), and 1Nortriptilyne (25mg).  Currently I'm trying to reduce the Sinemet
(which was 5, 25/250, at one point).   I take Humalog and NPH insulin, 4
injections daily, with the first three (Breakfast, lunch, dinner) mixing both
(from 3-11 units of Humalog, depending upon blood sugars -- which I test at
least 4 times daily with a Lifescan One Touch II system -- and 3 at Breakfast,
4 at Lunch and 2 at Dinner units of NPH) in the syringe, and the fourth (Bed),
just 9 units of NPH.  My blood sugars have been varying widely of late from
lows of 25 - to highs of well over 400, with an average in the 180's.
Obviously this is not good, and it follows the past decade of excellent
control.  I am working avidly with physicians and nurses at Boston's Joslin
Clinic to regain my previous excellent control.

I had a complete neuropsychological battery done at Bostun University's
Neurological Referral Center this past winter, and got the results on April 1
in an extensive interview with the department's head psychologist, my wife and
I in attendance.  It was a real eye-opener for me, demonstrating through
cognitive results that a number of things (more technical than I can report
effectively to you) are going on in the basal ganglia of my brain that account
for many recent behaviours (related to obsessing on certain tasks, to
exhaustion, to occasionally inopportune and inappropriate responses or
comments by me that cause wonderment by colleagues in my professional
environment, to being quite anxious about individual tasks and my work in
general (made worse when deadline crunches arise -- as they do often in my
work), to taking about 65 hours/week to get a 40 -hour/week job done.

Hitherto I had seen my Parkinson's symptoms as the more evident, physical
problems of voice loss, illegibility (even to me) of handwriting, of a stony,
rigid aspect (exacerbated at "off" times).  The explanation of the results of
the neurocognitive workup made it clear to me for the first time that I really
do have a serious health problem, one that I can't just paper over.  I began
to see as real difficulties in the workplace that others had either commented
on or reacted to, and also many situations at home which my wife had noticed
(to put it mildly) but which had not been as compelling for me.  I was trying
so hard to compensate for my difficulties, and thereby to avoid their real
impact, that I was missing the reality boat repeatedly.

Prior to last summer, I had only had two serious insulin reactions (by serious
I mean reactions that I could not get back in control myself, even though they
could feel quite heavy).   Last August, however, then again in October, and at
least 8 times during March and April of this year, I've had very serious
reactions where I lost total control, lost touch with reality, could not
correct it myself, and had to have significant interventions by others.  These
were extremely debilitating and fearsome, and three of them occurred while I
was driving a car.  As a result of these, and of the neuropsych cognitive
results report, I decided to apply for short-term disability and am now on
that, determining whether to go back to work full-time, part-time, or not at
all.

This a real dilemma for me, for I love to work and have a great drive to do
so, and we need the income.  However, I am starting to become much realistic
about the actualities of my situation and will, I believe, be ready to make a
correct assessment and decision about this soon, largely because of the data
supplied me from the neuropsychological cognitive workup.  The data is
irrefutable.   In addition, whereas I had never previously even been willing
to think about myself as a disability candidate, the psychologist's testimony
about the ease with which I would qualify has helped me move in that
direction.

I hope this is helpful to you.  I'd certainly go through this sort of
examination if you have the opportunity.

Good luck,

John B.