When PWP, and sufferers of other dibilitating conditions get to a point where
family or friends can not handle their needs, but they plan to stay at home,
it may be necessary to hire people to help. When you need to do that, our
family learned some lessons that may benefit others. The most important
factor, is communication with the helper. No matter how good they may be at
what they do, you need to have an understanding of their duties and
capabilities. I suggest a trial period of a few days, before making a long
term commitment to employ them.
Try to find someone who lives as near as possible, and who has a working
telephone, a reliable vehicle, and at least one other way to contact them, if
they do not show up on time. Make sure they are willing and to be prompt, and
if they are habitually early, that is even better. Make sure they can DO the
job, If lifting the patient is needed, do a dry run. We have had helpers who
were built small, but were strong and able to lift Dad whenever needed, and
others who looked like they could pick up a car, but had "a bad back" or some
other condition..that won't work!
Make a written agreement as far as wages, per hour, or per week, and whether
it will be cash, or check, and who pays the taxes, or benefits. If you don't
have liability insurance on your home, check it out. You don't need to be sued
to pay medical bills if they slip or trip in your home while working.  Make
sure they can handle all aspects such as special treatments. You may need a
profesional nurse for certain procedures.  Agree ahead of time about other
work to be done, if the patient is sleeping or needs no care for extended
periods. If the shower needs to be cleaned, will the helper do it, or just sit
and watch TV while the family does it? It is best to discuss this ahead of
time. If the helper is needed for a short time, will you have to pay a minimum
amount? Why pay for two hours, if they will be there for 30 minutes and leave?
This happened many times, then my mother had to take over, if something
happened after the helper was gone. It took a lot out of her!  Make the
helpers understand what they can take for granted, for example, if they can
take any food they want, or if they can make long distance calls, while you
are away. My mother got stuck for many calls that the helper did not realize
was costing long distance rates.  The best advice I can give, is discuss every
item BEFORE it occurs, and you have a chance of getting what you need at a
fair price. The last item is how much to pay. Try to find out comparable pay
in your area, and don't expect much if you plan to pay less, you get what you
pay for!  I hope this is helpful. [log in to unmask]