Charles - you asked:
>>> Charles Countryman <[log in to unmask]> 05/20/98
03:28am >>>
>>>I suspect that Parkinson's is also affecting me in ways
other than movement disorder and facial masking<<<
>>>you suspect
that mental processing is slowing down<<<
>>>did PD cause people to be "dumber" on the job or
elsewhere?<<<
>>>you start "feeling" that you are getting dumber, not
smarter or maintaining your cognitive abilities, even if the
medications improve your physical functioning.<<<

 Good morning Charles:
     As an attorney who was dx for PD 7 years ago, I had to
switch from the high-stress responsibility of litigation to a
more even paced, less demanding assignment.  I now handle
administrative matters and general advice.
    Initially, I felt as if I could not handle my usual three tasks
at once and found I could not "change gears" rapidly enough
to juggle the facts of several problems within the workday.
Because of my physical limitations brought on by the tremor
and rigidity and slowness of movement I couldn't write or
move around fast enough to accommodate a multi-task
schedule.
    Plus, I felt "dumber," as you put it.  Even though I could
keep track of concepts and issues I could not find my way
through the maze of my own thoughts to express myself
clearly.  It was as if my brain was working (churning out
ideas), but my mouth, toungue, hands, etc. could not
verbalize the thoughts.  I could almost "picture" the word I
wanted in my brain, but I couldn't retrieve it for my mouth.  Of
course, if the situation had the slightest stress connected to
it (deadline, crisis, etc.) I was furthered flustered.
    Everything I read and the several neuros I spoke with all
confirmed that it was not necessarily a PD related condition.
The consensus seems to be that these are typical
complaints from people reaching their 50's and the
concommitant aging and slowing of even a healthy body.
    Four years ago I increased my daily dose of Ginkgo
Biloba tablets from 50mg to 100mg and increased my daily
intake of Lecithin capsules to 1200mg. Ginkgo facilitates the
exchange of "messages" between neurotransmitters in the
brain thus improving mental performance.  Lecithin helps the
brain manufacture a major neurotransmitter - acetylcholine -
which is involved with memory and complex learning.
   I am now able to function on the job at what I feel is a more
acceptable level, without the fluster and fogginess I
experienced several years ago.  I perceive that I am still not
the workplace "me" of memory, but I'm satisfied.
   Good luck.
Stephan 53/7